Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Rogue One

After having planned on going to see it on Monday (and arriving to a full parking lot because it was a default New Year's Day holiday), I finally managed to see "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" today.


The movie was really great for the most part, but I have a few problems with it:
  1. No opening scroll. I wasn't dropped into the "Star Wars" universe in the traditional manner.
  2. The music was too different (in too many places) from the original John Williams work. Too many 'higher register' note pieces, and not enough iconic pieces. It's still the Rebellion!
  3. Felicity Jones was horrible. I felt ZERO connection to her character, Jyn Erso. She was merely a plot device around which all the other characters revolved (if that). I never resonated with her emotions, motivation, or peril.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie very much. It was a cool story, and the cameos and links to the other films were awesome. My favorite characters were:
  • K-2SO
  • Bodhi Rook - an Empire pilot who has defected.
  • Galen Erso - Jyn's father (and designer of the Death Star).
  • Baze Malbus - the 'big gunner', partner in crime of the blind Chirrut Îmwe, who was pretty cool too.
I plan on seeing it one more time before it leaves theaters.

P.S: When i got home, Chumble attacked my foot, I guess he missed me haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment