Monday, April 24, 2017

MQ 2017 No.2

I drove up to Troy, NH to hike Gap Mountain today. It was sunny and warm (low 70's), and it turned out to be more humid than expected. I had directions for the wrong side of the mountain (I drove down Scott Pond Road, which led to a remote pond camping area, including a drive over a narrow road between two large bodies of water). When I retraced my steps to the main road, I remembered where to go, with no other trouble.

There were 3 other cars in the lot: two groups (2 guys and a dog; 2 women and a dog) passed me in the other direction on the way up, while the third group (two older women) made their ascent some distance ahead of me, vacating the summit just as I achieved it.

The hike itself was a mixed bag. The stream (Quarry Brook) has had a new one-rail foot bridge built across it, which wasn't present on my last hike in 2014. The trip up was an ugly sloppy mess of mud, cutaway areas, broken branches and dead leaves. Not very scenic at all, with the lack of leaves and evergreens. I always enjoy the stone steps (several sets of three, and a longer one), and then the wooden steps (one had been struck by lightning!). I forgot that the final leg is very steep, up a scramble of rocks. When I got to the summit there was a lot of 'people debris' (orange peels, apple cores, etc...), and there were big black flies and hornets everywhere. I only stayed long enough to take a few photos, and eat my apple & granola bar. A shame, because it was a wonderful sunny say, and the views were fantastic.

On the way back down, at the rock scramble, I passed 3 teen girls, giggling and chattering away. About midway down I passed a bespectacled guy in a red shirt, and just before reaching the parking lot again, I passed an older dude in jeans, grey tee and a cap. Everyone was friendly, so the human facet of the hike was pleasant.

Both drives were great, too. Sunny skies, windows down, quiet classical in the background, plus tons of trees, ponds and small towns to enjoy. What a day.

Descent soundtrack: Rustica "Sal's Paradise" EP and An April March (2 album shuffle).








No comments:

Post a Comment